I found this article about a Wilton, Ct. high school theatre group who was not allowed to perform their play about the war in Iraq...so they ended up performing it in New York City in front of a much larger audience! From a freedom of speech perspective, I thought you might find this article interesting. What's also interesting is that I thought this was over. I thought it was okay now for Americans to critique the war if they wanted to. I don't know if you remember, but right after 9/11, there was a lot of pressure for people to remain quiet and support the war, no matter what, because it was considered unpatriotic to do otherwise. Since then, things have changed; even some members of the press have apologized for becoming complacent right after 9/11 and not asking the right questions or daring to criticize. So it's interesting that 6 years later, we still have this attitude around.
http://www.alternet.org/rights/54077/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment